|Location||South Bend, Indiana|
|Date Posted||July 31, 2022|
Trades & Services
Automotive and Diesel Technician
$2000 Sign On Bonus (Offer Expires: 07/31/22)
First things First: Who are we?
Twice the size of our next largest competitor, First Student is the leading school transportation solutions provider in North America. Every day, we complete 5 million student journeys, moving more passengers than all U.S. airlines combined. With a team of highly trained drivers and the industry s strongest safety record, First Student delivers reliable, quality services including full-service transportation and management, special-needs transportation, route optimization and scheduling, maintenance, and charter services for 1,100 school district contracts.
About the Position
As a Diesel Technician with First Student, you will maintain and repair school buses to ensure vehicles are safe for our customers, while providing guidance to lower-level technicians. Other major job duties include:
- Perform preventative maintenance (PMs), safety inspections, and annual maintenance inspections.
- Diagnose and perform all phases of vehicle and equipment repair including brakes, suspensions, engines, drivetrains, transmissions, and other repairs.
- Ensure work orders are completed accurately.
- Assist with road calls and emergency services as necessary.
Qualifications for Diesel Technician
- Valid driver s license required.
- At least 3 years of automotive or diesel maintenance & repair employment experience or a combination of technical school education & experience.
- Mechanic s toolset
- ASE certifications preferred. Must be willing to participate in company ASE certification program (company training, testing, and bonuses provided!
- Be subject to a drug test.
First for a Reason
We offer competitive hourly pay between $20 - 28/hour depending on experience (NOT flat rate) and benefits including physical and mental health initiatives, medical/dental/vision, 401(k), and paid holiday/vacation.
- An additional $.10 per hour for each ASE certification you possess or obtain!
- Company-paid ASE testing and training materials
- Monday-Friday full-time shift schedule, and consistent, year-round work
- Annual allowances for boots, tools, and prescription safety glasses
- Ongoing company training on state-of-the-art online system
- Discounts on cell phone plans, new cars, and more through the Perk Spot program!
Start here. Go far. We believe in promoting from within which means tremendous opportunities for you, thanks to our strong presence across North America. In addition, our 18-month Aspiring Manager Program prepares future leaders at First Student or First Transit.
Build skills and knowledge in such areas as safety and security, injury prevention, technology and equipment, and job efficiency.
Diversity & Inclusion
Because we re stronger together, we aspire to have a culture where all people are First. We re committed to providing an inclusive and diverse working environment for everyone every day.
Community Service & Impact
Go where opportunity meets community. Our customers are at the heart of everything we do. As the face of First Student, First Transit and First Vehicle Services in your community, you ll have a positive impact on others.
Apply today and get your career on the road with First Student!
We aspire to have a culture where all people are First. We strive to attract and retain a diverse workforce therefore all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status. First is also committed to providing a drug-free workplace. For candidates applying to positions in San Francisco or Los Angeles California, First will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with the requirements of the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance or Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinance. First is an equal opportunity employer and by doing so we will sustain and promote an inclusive culture that supports future growth for all.