|Location||Broken Arrow, Oklahoma|
|Date Posted||July 30, 2022|
About the Role:
Construction Technician-Line Worker is responsible for installing, repairing and maintaining poles, cables and conduits; installing aerial and buried cables with associated hardware as required to build jobs; the running of fiber optic, copper and other necessary cable in the telecommunications space, both aerial and in underground infrastructure, such as manholes; maintaining the safety of the crew by providing direction regarding procedures, road safety, manhole safety, attending safety meetings as requested; maintaining material inventory, DOT vehicle inspection; operate heavy machinery; and other duties as assigned, including, but not limited to, splicing copper and fiber cable and any tasks associated with splicing cable. The job will include work on weekends, holidays, standby and unscheduled hours and overtime. Travel is required and may be over 50% of the year depending on the business needs.
What You ll Do:
- Install, repair and maintain poles.
- Install aerial cables (fiber and copper); set-up service for customers, installing, connecting, testing, or adjusting equipment as requested.
- Measure signal strength at utility poles, using electronic test equipment.
- Inspect or test lines or cables, recording and analyzing test results, to asess transmission characteristics and locate faults or malfuntions.
- Access specific areas to string lines or install terminal boxes, auxiliary equipment, or appliances, using bucket trucks, or by climbing poles or ladders, or entering tunnels, trenches, or crawl spaces.
- String cables between structures and lines from poles, towers, or trenches and pull lines to proper tension using jacks, hoist and other equipment as necessary.
- Pull up cable by hand from large reels mounted on trucks
- Lay underground cable directly in trenches or string it through conduits running through trenches/manholes as requested and required.
- Pull cable through ducts by hand or with winches.
- Ability to use a variety of construction equipment to complete installations, such as digger derricks, bucket trucks, back hoes, trenchers, or cable plows.
- Dig trenches for underground wires or cables.
- Understand staking sheets and blueprints.
- Perform work in accordance with industry standards. Be familiar with RUS standards, read and follow design engineers instructions and specifications, maintain the scope of work on the project and adhere to safety procedures.
- Prepare engineering field notes. Interpret buried underground and aerial telecom facilities in records, on maps and in the field with clarity and detail and make reccomendations for changes in running line or construction methodologies.
- Participate in engineering, permit and construction processes as required.
- Perform routine maintenance. Recognize and repair route issues including but not limited to, and hole cleanup, sign placement, and weed control as required.
- Fill and tamp holes, using cement, earth, and tamping devices.
- Splice copper and fiber cables and tasks associated with splicing.
- Other work as assigned.
- 1 year of outside plant construction experience including the installation, repair and maintenance of poles and buried or aerial cable or related Trade School certification in-lieu of one year of experience
- Pole climbing certification
- Ability to lift/push/pull up to 75 pounds
- Ability to work in all weather conditions, year round
- Ability to work in confined spaces and at heights
- Ability to work an on-call schedule rotation as well as days/nights/overnights/weekends/holidays/overtime, as needed
- Valid driver s license
- Minimum qualifications to obtain a CDL
- Ability to pass DOT certification
- Ability to Travel
- Exceptional time-management and attention to detail to complete all paperwork accurately and on-time
- 5 or more years of experience
- OSHA 10 Hour Safety Course and Buck Squeeze (Pole Climbing Certifications)
- Proficient at operating various Construction Equipment
- Medical, Dental, Vision Insurance Plans
- Generous annual increases
- 401K Plan
- Health & Flexible Savings Account
- Life and AD&D, Spousal Life, Child Life Insurance Plans
- Educational Assistance Plan
- Identity Theft, Legal, Auto & Home and Pet Insurance
Windstream Holdings, Inc. is a leading provider of advanced network communications and technology solutions for consumers, small businesses, enterprise organizations and carrier partners across the U.S.
This is a safety sensitive position.
Job Category: Bargaining
Locations: US-Oklahoma-Broken Arrow
Windstream is an equal opportunity employer. At Windstream, we celebrate the authenticity and uniqueness of our people and their ideas. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, genetic information, protected veteran status, current military status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, creed, citizenship status, or any other status protected by law, and to give full consideration to qualified disabled individuals and protected veterans. The diverse voices of our employees fuel our innovation and our inclusive culture. Employment at Windstream is subject to post offer, pre-employment drug testing.