|Date Posted||August 2, 2022|
Freeport-McMoRan is a leading international mining company with headquarters in Phoenix, Arizona. We operate large, long-lived, geographically diverse assets with significant proven and probable reserves of copper, gold, and molybdenum. The company has a dynamic portfolio of operating, expansion and growth projects in the copper industry. Freeport-McMoRan is one of the world s largest publicly traded copper producers, the world s largest producer of molybdenum and a significant gold producer. We have a long and successful history of conducting our business in a safe, highly efficient and socially-responsible manner.
We have the assets, the talent, the drive and the financial strength to provide attractive and rewarding careers of our employees. We encourage you to take the time to explore the opportunity to advance your career at Freeport-McMoRan.
Please note: This in-person position is performed onsite at Freeport-McMoRan s corporate office in Phoenix, Arizona. In accordance with Freeport-McMoRan s requirement for all employees who are working or attending a meeting onsite at the corporate office, if you are hired you will be required to submit proof that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 prior to entry, unless the company has granted a medical or religious accommodation.
You will lead a fast-growing Data Engineering team pursuing a vision of analytics-driven mining at Freeport. Your expertise in data engineering, software engineering, and machine learning will enable and empower our organization to build and deploy data driven solutions to production. At Freeport we understand that our data does not reach its full potential until it is analyzed, and insights effectively communicated to the enterprise. You will work in close collaboration with mining operations, subject matter experts, data scientists, and software engineers to develop advanced, highly automated data products. You will be a champion of DataOps, DevOps, and agile practices; leading project teams and mentoring team members to realize their full potential.
- Leadership: Develop and lead a team of Data Engineers in collaboration with Data Science, Data Warehousing, and Business Intelligence to create, test, scale and monitor enterprise class data pipelines. Cultivate a generative culture that values continuous improvement through experimentation and self-guided learning. Ensure agile teams are properly staffed to deliver on time by defining clear data engineering strategies and principles, maintaining a roadmap for execution, and actively secure its implementation through the scrum process.
- Team Development/Coaching: Act as a positive coach/mentor for broader organization to develop stronger understanding of the data architecture and software design patterns that create scalable, maintainable, well-designed analytics solutions. Acts as a facilitator of complex technical topics that require cross-functional consultation.
- Architecture: Relentlessly identify and remove friction in the data engineering development lifecycle to improve developer experience and increase velocity. Influence, develop, and sustain large-scale analytics architecture required for delivering Data Engineering work product. Establish software architecture and software design patterns to write scalable, maintainable, well-designed code. Research and evaluate tools in data transformation, automated CI/CD, data quality monitoring, and data serving.
- Agile Project Work: Work in cross-functional, geographically distributed agile teams of highly skilled data engineers, software/machine learning engineers, data scientists, DevOps engineers, designers, product managers, technical delivery teams, and others to continuously innovate analytic solutions.
- Independently execute and review others exploratory data analysis to ensure data quality and relational characteristics
- Design, develop, and review real-time/bulk data pipelines from a variety of sources (streaming data, APIs, data warehouse, messages, images, video, etc)
- Develop, review, and secure documentation of Data Lineage and Data Dictionaries to create a broad awareness of the enterprise data model and its applications
- Actively champion and apply best practices within DataOps (Version Control, P.R. Based Development, Schema Change Control, CI/CD, Deployment Automation, Test Automation, Shift left on Security, Loosely Coupled Architectures, Monitoring, Proactive Notifications)
- Coordinate with other teams to design optimal patterns for data ingest, transformation, and egress as well as lead and coordinate data quality initiatives and troubleshooting
- Guide problem solving sessions, ensuring alignment to North Star. Provide mentorship and coaching to junior team members.
- Proactively adapt team makeup to increase project velocity and solution quality.
- Perform other duties as requested.
- This position requires domestic travel including air travel. In accordance with Freeport-McMoRan s requirement for all employees whose job requires travel by air, if you are hired you will be required to submit proof that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 in order to travel by air, unless the company has granted a medical or religious accommodation.
- Bachelor s degree in engineering, computer science, analytical field (Statistics, Mathematics, etc.) or closely related discipline and eight (8) years of relevant work experience including five (5) years of project management/leadership experience; OR
- Master s in engineering, computer science, analytical field (Statistics, Mathematics, etc.) or closely related discipline and six (6) years of relevant work experience including three (3) years of project management/leadership experience; OR
- Ph.D. in engineering, computer science, analytical field (Statistics, Mathematics, etc.) or closely related discipline and four (4) years of relevant work experience including three (3) years of project management/leadership experience
- Expert practitioner of SQL development with experience designing high quality, production SQL codebases
- Expert practitioner of Python development with experience designing high quality, production Python codebases
- Expert in data engineering, software engineering, and ML systems architecture
- Experience applying software development best practices in data engineering projects, including Version Control, P.R. Based Development, Schema Change Control, CI/CD, Deployment Automation, Test Driven Development/Test Automation, Shift left on Security, Loosely Coupled Architectures, Monitoring, Proactive Notifications using Python and SQL
- Data science experience wrangling data, model selection, model training, modeling validation, e.g., Operational Readiness Evaluator and Model Development and Assessment Framework, and deployment at scale
- Experience with Agile and DevOps software development principles/methodologies, keep team focus on deliver business value
- Experience leading and developing teams
- Experience with at least one modern Machine Learning framework such as TensorFlow, Pytorch, Keras, etc.
- Understanding of Machine Learning fundamentals
- Experience influencing and building mindshare convincingly with any audience. Confident and experienced in public speaking to large audiences
- Working knowledge of Azure Stream Architectures, DBT, Schema Change tools, Data Dictionary tools, Azure Machine Learning Environment, GIS Data
- Working knowledge of Software Engineering and Object Orient Programming Principles
- Working knowledge of Distributed Parallel Processing Environments such as Spark or Snowflake
- Working knowledge of Edge Analytics, embedded systems, or computer vision.
- Working knowledge of problem solving/root cause analysis on Production workloads
- Experience working in Data Science Product Teams, managing Design, Implementation of data projects that utilize big data, advanced analytics and machine learning technologies.
- Working knowledge of Agile, Scrum, and Kanban
- Working knowledge of workflow orchestration using tools such as Airflow, Prefect, Dagster, or similar tooling
- Experience building OR implementing a feature store
- Working knowledge with CI/CD and automation tools like Jenkins or Azure DevOps
- Experience with containerization tools such as Docker
Criteria and Conditions
- Must be willing and able to travel up to 25%
- Must be able to frequently sit, stand and walk.
- Must be able to frequently lift and carry up to 10 pounds.
- Must be able to work in a potentially stressful environment.
- Personal protective equipment is required when performing work in a mine, outdoor, manufacturing or plant environment, including hart hat, hearing protection, safety glasses, safety footwear, and as needed, respirator, rubber steel-toe boots, protective clothing, gloves and any other protective equipment as required.
- Freeport-McMoRan promotes a drug/alcohol-free work environment through the use of mandatory pre-employment drug testing and on-going random drug testing as allowed by applicable state laws
Freeport-McMoRan has reviewed the jobs at its various office and operating sites and determined that many of these jobs require employees to perform essential job functions that pose a direct threat to the safety or health of the employees performing these tasks or others. Accordingly, the Company has designated the following positions as safey-sensitive:
- ..... click apply for full job details