|Date Posted||August 1, 2022|
th Street Tuscaloosa Alabama 35
Welcome to Valmont, where a world of opportunity awaits. When you join our team, you become part of a passionate group dedicated to changing lives and conserving resources around the globe. We want problem solvers who roll up their sleeves to foster progress and innovation for all people. At Valmont, we provide infrastructure, irrigation, tubing and coatings to the world. We strengthen cities. We nourish croplands. We design, manufacture and coat. Our products and services make a difference. Join us, and BUILD YOUR WORLD.
This is an individual contributor role. The primary functions of the Design Engineer include the engineering, design, and drafting of prestressed concrete poles required to ensure project objectives are met. This position is responsible for the structural analysis and design of concrete products fabricated by the site. This position will provide customer support, coordination with sales to help provide the appropriate products, and assistance to operations to insure the products are manufactured to specifications. The incumbent utilizes in-house consultation of colleagues and Principle Engineers to assure specifications are met, and receives consultation from Manufacturing to ensure design efficiency and manufacturability. The incumbent must continually improve his or her knowledge of existing assemblies and keep up-to-date on manufacturing capabilities.
- This position reports to the General Manager and has no direct or indirect reports
- Analyze and design products by Finite Element Method and other structural design software taking into consideration both public safety and minimum cost (competitiveness and profitability)
- Interpret customer specifications, customer needs, and market/sales needs
- Understand the fabrication processes and quality assurance requirements and methods used by Valmont
- Communicate engineering data to the customer and others. The latter includes itemizing cost-related requirements of a quotation, including weights, reviewing engineering drawings and evaluating as-built product. Interrelationships and communications will promote a professional attitude towards the work and the office environment;
- Recommend changes in design criteria, analysis methods and drafting procedures, developing new methods when appropriate;
- Recommend tests to confirm theoretical designs when necessary and plan and coordinate the testing;
- Communicate information about new ideas, product and system improvements, etc. to encourage increased morale and efficiency throughout the company and to enhance Valmont's image as a leader in our industry.
- Follow standard design and development procedures, recommending updates to design procedures when needed
- Provides design direction and technical support to other associate product engineers and product designers
- Responsible for modifications to existing designs and products to meet changes in manufacturing capabilities, support cost reduction activities, and address reliability and warranty issues
- Responsible for providing creative and innovative engineering solutions that aid in the resolution of field and manufacturing problems and in the maintenance and improvement of existing products
- Responsible for maintaining good relationships with customers, field personnel and other Valmont departments to ensure the most efficient working environment
- Responsible for advancing personal technical competence in order to participate in new design concepts using the latest state-of-the-art technology
- Responsible for reviewing and providing inputs to the product development procedure to ensure continuous improvement of processes
- Responsible for providing technical design inputs and technical direction for design reviews
- Provide technical support to other departments as required toward meeting the needs of our customers
Other Important Details about the Role:
The Design Engineer acts as a project team associate working with cross functional partners to design and develop activities required to meet product requirements. The position is accountable to meeting milestone dates for those projects assigned. The role requires partnership with multiple cross functional partners. The Design Engineer is responsible for attending technical design review meetings and providing technical design inputs and direction when needed. The Design Engineer must continually improve his or her knowledge of existing assemblies, keep up-to-date on manufacturing capabilities, and developing an awareness of the field usage of our products.
Required Qualifications of Every Candidate (Education, Experience, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities):
- Bachelorâ s Degree in Engineering with 2+ years relevant experience
- Demonstrated strong communication, interpersonal and presentation skills
- Strong design ability with experience in visually communicating concepts to customers and internal resources
- Strong mechanical and spatial aptitude with the ability to understand the physical requirements of a product concept
- Demonstrates the ability to adapt designs aesthetically and proportionally
- Proficiency with MS Office applications (PowerPoint, Excel, Word, Project)
- Strong working knowledge of 3D Computer-Aided Design Software
- Travel up to 10% of the time. May include international travel.
- Passion and integrity with the drive to excel and deliver exceptional results
Highly Qualified Candidates Will Also Possess These Qualifications:
- Masterâ s Degree in Civil or Structural Engineering
- Knowledge of Finite Element Analysis
- Work experience in Prestressed Concrete design
- Experience with FEA setup and virtual testing for structural elements
- Work experience interacting with Engineers
Valmont does not discriminate against any employee or applicant in employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by law. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
If you have a disability and require any assistance in filling out the application for employment email .