|Date Posted||June 22, 2022|
Engineering Interns work with and are under the direction and tutoring of other senior engineers as well as Engineering Management. They will work directly with the Engineering Team and will experience and learn how to determine the optimal manufacturing methods and process for producing company products and gain hands on real world experience in a manufacturing environment. Additionally, they will learn and understand productivity improvement methodology, LEAN processes, ergonomics, time studies for reducing waste and excess, line balancing, 5S, Kaizen, etc.
The list below is not all inclusive and the work assignments listed below will adjust based on business needs, and to make reasonable accommodations so that qualified employees can perform the essential functions of the job. Each job function will be conducted within the quality standards described in the Ducommun's Quality Policy and Safety Rules. Other duties may be assigned. Interns will:
- Work from engineering design documents, prototypes and/or change orders, and analyzing them for produce-ability
- Determine what equipment, tooling, materials, methods of manufacturing (may include make/buy -automation decision)
- Work with other engineers to coordinate various departments engaged in setting up or changing the manufacturing processes involved with new or revised products
- Perform time studies, analyze production methods and document work procedures, lay-out and/or work simplification, standardization and similar activities as related to Lean Manufacturing and 6 sigma concepts
- May use CAD/CAM equipment to perform design tasks
- Take responsibility for other essential duties, as determined by department Manager.
Skills & Qualifications
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable the individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
A combination of any or all of the following:
- Enrolled or soon to graduate with a Bachelor of Science degree in Mechanical, Electrical, or Manufacturing Engineering, Engineering Technology
- CAD/CAM software experience (AutoCAD, Mechanical Desktop, Inventor, Virtual Gibbs)
- Current course work in and/or exposed to Lean Enterprise Techniques and Experience
- Computer literate in Microsoft Office products, Microsoft project planning
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Knowledge of engineering drawing systems and principles, geometric and conventional tolerance, manual and automatic test equipment and methods, manufacturing cost methods, and advanced analysis capabilities highly desirable. Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, verbal or diagram form. Must complete all assigned paper work as required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be required to stand. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 15 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job including ability to adjust focus and pass vision screening requirements.
The environment characteristic described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to moving mechanical parts. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Required Training Components:
Lean Manufacturing ISO 9001 / QA Systems Overview
Safety Overview ITAR Awareness
ESD Awareness Six Sigma processes
1505 Maiden Lane
Joplin, Missouri, 64801