|Date Posted||May 12, 2021|
Trades & Services
Engineering Team Lead provides project leadership to engineers and other technical team members in the activity of ideation, design engineering and product development in support of planned revenue and margin growth. Possessing strong project leadership skills, exceptional technical capability, and demonstrated teamwork, the Engineering Team Lead may participate in establishing business vision, strategy and direction involvement in WARN's phase gate product development process (or customer specific process), which translates into products and execution consistent with Warn's core values and procedures. The Engineering Team Lead is accountable to the assigned Engineering Manager, Director of Engineering or VP of Engineering for all engineering matters related to the Engineering Team Lead's assigned business.
The Engineering Team Lead must be a coach and a mentor, not a directive controller. S/he must demonstrate the ability to break down and delegate tasks to leverage the full capacity of the engineering team. Accountability for team performance resides with the Engineering Team Lead and s/he must accomplish team objectives through leadership, execution, and team member development.
The Engineering Team Lead is an integral part of project execution within their team, often personally performing critical engineering tasks required for successful fulfillment of customer and technology requirements. Working with minimal or no direction, applies extensive and diversified knowledge of engineering principles and practices in broad areas of assignment and related fields.
1. Directs the efforts of other engineers and team members to assure successful project completion. Ensures engineering work complies with WARN standards, meets requirements of product specifications and captures critical to quality (CTQ) requirements including performance and cost.
2. Identifies and manages design related project risks to better insure project success. Risk reduction may involve negotiation of project scope, application of additional resources, early concept testing and evaluation of customer product use. Works with the larger team to manage and mitigate risks project wide.
3. In association with the Engineering Manager, Director of Engineering or VP of Engineering, participates in the development and maintenance of budgets, provides estimations of workload and personnel needs; schedules and assigns work within team to meet customer requirements.
4. Serves as a mentor and coach to engineers, providing the necessary guidance to help them perform in their roles as well as grow in their careers. Provides regular coaching sessions during projects to ensure goals and milestones are met.
5. In association with the Engineering Manager, Director of Engineering or VP of Engineering, develops and maintains team member development and performance records in order to provide personal growth and enhance team capabilities.
6. May be assigned project responsibility for projects involving tooling budgets up to $2,000,000 and potential annual sales of up to $50,000,000.
7. May coordinate multiple small projects or several large projects simultaneously.
8. In support of project effort tracking, Engineering Team Lead will review and monitor project time logs filled out by team members.
9. In coordination with their Leader, the Engineering Team Lead is responsible for timely completion of all schedule related activities assigned to his/her team, adjusting work plans as necessary. This work supports the larger effort of the Project Manager role.
10. May manage projects within the team, between internal teams, and projects in support of customer expectations and new product development.
11. Ensure a collaborative and productive coordination with other WARN functional groups, suppliers and customers.
12. Creates a positive work environment for all team members.
13. May lead continuous process improvement and problem-solving activities as necessary. May also problem-solve individually as job duties require.
14. Works to provide appropriate resources and direction for his/her assigned Engineering Team members and to resolve any problems or obstacles that may confront them.
15. Helps to promote seamless integration with cross functional departments to ensure project and technology programs are properly supported.
16. Supports efforts insuring critical metrics are being continuously improved, including customer CTQ fulfillment, project on-time performance, and engineering quality.
17. May be responsible for customer contact on broad issues, interfacing with the customer's engineers and management.
18. Hands-on work on shop floor as job requires.
19. Work safely and without injury.
20. Travel time up to 20% as required.
21. Responsible for prompt and regular attendance as scheduled.
22. Accountable for Sarbanes-Oxley compliance in assigned area. Responsible for design and operating effectiveness of internal controls, including a self-assessment and report to management.
23. Accountable for developing and monitoring processes and practices necessary for legal and ethical compliance in assigned area.
Required Education and/or Experience:
1. Bachelor of Science degree (Engineering or other Technical focus preferred).
2. Six or more years of hands-on engineering or product design and development encompassing all phases from concept realization through prototype build, evaluation and volume production implementation.
3. Four or more years' experience in a high volume, manufacturing environment is preferred.
4. Two or more years of mentoring or similar leadership experience.
5. Preferred: PMI certified or equivalent PMBOK training certificate with application experience.
6. Preferred: Master's degree in Business Administration or Management.
1. Product design and development experience of high volume consumer products.
2. Demonstrated team and project leadership experience is required.