|Location||King Of Prussia, Pennsylvania|
|Date Posted||July 30, 2022|
Reports to Global VDF and Kynar Process Technology Manager. No direct reports to this position. Works closely with the manufacturing sites, R&D, pilot plant, business and supply chain.
Key Activities & Responsibilities
Pilot plant, plant, tolling short term process support: 40%
• Identify process safety improvement opportunities and develop improvements where appropriate. Process lead/expert for PHAs, MOCs, and other safety reviews as needed. Advance process safety initiatives in the plants. Incorporate safety principles and waste minimization and control into work assignments. Lead root cause analyses (RCA) using appropriate methodologies.
• Using knowledge of process chemistry and operations, develop and lead cost savings initiatives at the plants.
• Utilize rigorous statistical methodology, including DOE, SQC, regression, and other forms of optimization.
• Process lead with active participation in R&D projects, including coordination with plant for new product trials.
• Provide plant support as necessary (Calvert city, KY mostly, eventually China and France) and participate in development of operating procedures and process documents. Support or direct test runs and/or new product trials in the plants.
• Support for Kynar pilot unit (on-site at King of Prussia) including oversight for design & execution of pilot programs.
• Technical support of tolling in the US.
Mid term process technology studies - CAPEX project leader: 60%
• Study process alternatives and develop preliminary economics analysis to advance technology.
• Perform engineering work dealing with the development of process technology for capital projects, improving plant performance, and/or testing of new equipment concepts. Expected to show originality and innovation in developing problem solutions.
• Participate in the development of creative solutions for a variety of technical challenges assuming the role of
team leader in projects as needed. Develop solutions and implement designs for process improvements using the plant MOC and/or project procedures.
Context & Environment
• Conditions encountered are typical of an office environment with travel to the plant sites as needed.
• May require occasional travel, domestic & international, 10 - 20%. Will typically travel to the plants and contractor location to obtain data, assist in design, and assist in start-up.
• Works with little supervision; receives broad direction and determines task list for work completion, and prepares timing.
• Expected to show originality and innovation in developing problem solutions.
• Solutions and projects are expected to work reliably. Works closely with consultants, E&C companies, corporate groups, plant technology teams, etc.
• Demonstrates ability to perform work on a number of projects simultaneously. Responsible for short-term prioritization of work, time tracking, and regular communication of results.
• Supports the site HES policy and complies with all regulatory and internal requirements
• Participates in HES activities provided by site management and Arkema Inc. (e.g., Behavioral Base Safety, SafeStart, etc.)
• Supports and promotes the reporting of all health, safety, environmental, near-miss, accident or injury incidents
• Bachelor s degree in Chemical Engineering with a minimum of 6 + years of hands-on experience; preferably in chemical manufacturing environment
• Higher degreed candidates (MS ChE) and/or higher level experience candidates will also be strong contributors.
• Well versed and experienced in the application of principles and theories of Chemical Engineering.
• Preferred candidates will have training and industrial experience in various roles and/or businesses-products including the area of polymerization and/or polymer processing.
• Additional certifications, such as lean six sigma would be advantageous.
• Team player with high order interpersonal skills and leadership qualities.
• Must have competence and demonstrated skills in process safety and product quality improvement.
• Must exercise sound judgment in decision making.
• Works in an international team environment and must have the ability to communicate and work together with other technical people from multiple disciplines (manufacturing - R&D - business - tollers - E&I as well as mechanical engineers.)
Building on its unique set of expertise in materials science, Arkema offers a portfolio of first-class technologies to address ever-growing demand for new and sustainable materials. With the ambition to become in 2024 a pure player in Specialty Materials, the Group is structured into three complementary, resilient and highly innovative segments dedicated to Specialty Materials - Adhesive Solutions, Advanced Materials, and Coating Solutions - accounting for some 80% of Group sales, and a well-positioned and competitive Intermediates segment. Arkema offers cutting-edge technological solutions to meet the challenges of, among other things, new energies, access to water, recycling, urbanization and mobility, and fosters a permanent dialogue with all its stakeholders. The Group reported sales of €8.7 billion ($9.7 billion) in 2019, and operates in 55 countries with 20,500 employees worldwide.