|Date Posted||September 24, 2022|
The Maintenance Worker/Custodian is responsible for performing fundamental maintenance tasks requiring working knowledge and basic physical skills. Work assignments and immediate supervision are provided by the Hospitality and Event Sales Manager, Facility Manager or Crew Leader. Annual performance goals will be set for the Maintenance Worker/Custodian.
Hiring Salary Range: $34,330.88 - $37,669.77
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (with illustrative examples of work)
The Maintenance Worker/Custodian is responsible for performing fundamental maintenance tasks including:
Maintain park facilities:
- Clean interior and exterior of the Event Venue as needed, including, but not limited to restrooms.
- Conduct routine deep cleaning- floors, kitchens, etc.
- Maintain stock of supplies such as cleaning supplies, filters, light bulbs, and paper products and use and/or replace in building as needed.
- Make minor carpentry, plumbing, and electrical repairs.
Maintain Event Venue grounds:
- Clean all walks, benches, fencing, and parking lot.
- Apply paint/stain in both exterior and interior spaces.
- Perform snow removal.
- Pick up ground litter and collect and dispose of trash.
- Assist with maintaining turf and landscaped areas.
Maintain Facility equipment:
- Make minor repairs and perform routine and preventative maintenance on small equipment.
- Prepare equipment and tools for use.
Perform miscellaneous maintenance tasks:
- Prepare rooms for events including setting up tables, chairs, and other equipment.
- May assist with supervision of part-time employees and/or volunteers.
- Cross train with catering staff on important functions.
- Run errands to deliver and pick up material.
- Assist in other park maintenance or garden projects as assigned.
- Maintain thorough and accurate records of repairs, preventive maintenance, and servicing through web-based maintenance software.
REQUIRED QUALIFICATIONS (minimum)
Education: Graduation from high school.
Physical: Manual work with strength and dexterity necessary to perform all required tasks, including lifting, stooping, bending, and working in tiring and uncomfortable positions in outdoor and maintenance shop settings; will perform heavy manual labor in all weather conditions, lift and move items equal to or greater than 80 pounds, climb ladders, use various hand tools, and operate various mechanical equipment.
Experience: Some experience in park maintenance work with mechanical aptitude, or any equivalent combination of education, training, or experience which provides:
- Working knowledge of the methods and materials used in maintenance of park grounds, facilities, and equipment.
- Working knowledge of plumbing and electrical systems and other utility systems with ability to make minor repairs and provide routine servicing.
- Working knowledge of small engine equipment with ability to perform routine maintenance and make minor repairs.
- Working knowledge of the safe and proper use of park maintenance equipment and tools.
- Ability to supervise part-time maintenance staff.
- Assist with event and catering staff when required.
- Possession of or ability to obtain and maintain a valid drivers' license with safe driving record.
- Availability for call in emergency situations and to work additional hours during peak operating season including shift work and weekends.
- Regular and predictable attendance is an essential function of the position.
Benefits: This position is a benefit eligible position. Benefits include medical and dental insurance, life insurance, long-term disability, retirement plan, and more.
Testing : The Maintenance Worker/Custodian position is classified as a safety sensitive position. Candidates for full-time, safety sensitive positions must submit to a pre-employment drug screening and achieve a negative result as a condition of employment.
It is the policy of the Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, color, national origin, religion, age, veteran status, political affiliation, genetics, or disability in the recruitment, selection, and hiring of its workforce.
Reasonable accommodations are available to persons with disabilities during application and/or interview processes per the Americans with Disabilities Act. Contact and ask for Human Resources for assistance.