|Date Posted||January 13, 2022|
Trades & Services
Principal Function: The Meter Reader is responsible for reading water consumption meters and recording volume used by residential and commercial consumers.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: Duties include, but are not limited to:
* Reads and installs residential and commercial water meters using automated meter-reading equipment.
* Walks or drives over established route and takes readings of consumption.
* Verifies readings to locate abnormal consumption and records reasons for fluctuations.
* Indicates irregularities for necessary action by servicing department.
* Inspects meters and connections for defects, damage, and unauthorized connections.
* Repairs and maintains meters and collects necessary information for further evaluation as needed.
* Turns service off for nonpayment of charges, or on for new occupants.
* Returns route book to Water Office for billing purposes.
* Assists with ensuring water operations comply with federal and state standards and regulations and Town ordinances.
* Assists with implementing and enforcing backflow program; responds to inquiries regarding installation and testing of backflow preventers.
* Assists with testing and analyzing water quality.
* Assists with general maintenance of Water Department facilities.
* Assists with resident inquiries and initiates action as needed.
Supervisory Responsibilities: This job has no employee supervisory responsibilities.
Qualifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty according to the requirements of the Town of Brownsburg. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
Education and/or Experience: High School Diploma or G.E.D.; and two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience is required. Previous experience working in municipal government is desired.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
* Highly organized and detail oriented.
* Resourceful and creative.
* Analytical skills and problem-solving ability.
* Must exhibit professionalism and be effective working with customers, vendors, and employees.
* Skillfully convey information on a wide range of topics to a diverse target audience.
* Influencing and consultative skills are critical.
* Proficient with commonly used office software, including but not limited to: MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, as well as telephone and internet communications.
* Ability to handle confidential information.
* Effective prioritization and time management skills.
* Ability to work in a fast-paced, high-pressure, deadline driven environment.
* Strong initiative to strive for continuous accuracy, quality, and timeliness of information.
* Ability to build and maintain effective relationships through strong interpersonal skills with emphasis on relationship-building and consistent demonstration of solid professional judgement.
* Ability to manage multiple projects and tasks simultaneously.
* A genuine commitment to quality on behalf of the Town while building a culture committed to excellence is mandatory.
* Must have and maintain a verifiable Driver's License, demonstrated safe driving record, and remain insurable through the Town's liability insurance carrier if applicable.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee frequently will stand; walk; and lift and/or move up to 50 pounds without an assistive device (greater weights may be required with the use of an assistive device). The employee occasionally will climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision (clear vision at 20 inches or less), distance vision (clear vision at 20 feet or more), color vision (ability to identify and distinguish colors), peripheral vision (ability to observe an area that can be seen up and down or to the left and right while eyes are fixed on a given point), depth perception (three-dimensional vision, ability to judge distances and spatial relationships), and the ability to adjust focus (ability to adjust the eye to bring an object into sharp focus).
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential duties and responsibilities.
This job operates primarily in the general community with moderate safety/health hazard potential. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud.
While the role follows a work schedule of 7AM to 4PM, Monday through Friday, this job may require work beyond these hours which may include weekends, holidays, and on-call status. Frequent in-town travel will be required.
The Town of Brownsburg recruits, employs, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, veteran status, and other protected status as required by applicable law.
* Health Care Plan (Medical, Dental & Vision)
* Retirement Plan
* Life Insurance (Basic, Voluntary & AD&D)
* Paid Time Off (Vacation, Sick & Public Holidays)
* Short Term & Long Term Disability
* Training & Development
* Wellness Resources