|Location||Foothill Ranch, California|
|Date Posted||July 31, 2022|
Press Tab to Move to Skip to Content Link
Select how often (in days) to receive an alert:
Oakley, Inc. is a sport and lifestyle brand, driven to ignite the imagination through the fusion of art and science. Building on its legacy of innovative, market-leading optical technology, the company manufactures and distributes high performance sunglasses, prescription lenses and frames, goggles, apparel, footwear, and accessories.
The essence of the brand is communicated through hundreds of professional and amateur athletes who depend on Oakley products to provide them with the very best while they redefine what is physically possible.
Oakley is part of Luxottica, a global leader in the design, manufacture and distribution of fashion, luxury and sports eyewear. Our wholesale network covers more than 150 countries and our retail presence consists of over 9,100 retail stores across the globe.
In North America, our wholesale business is the home to other global brands like Ray-Ban and many of the top fashion house brands. Our leading retail brands include; LensCrafters, Sunglass Hut, Pearle Vision, and Target Optical. We are also home to EyeMed, the fastest growing vision care company in the United States.
The Director Product Development (R&D) manages all aspects of the team that creates and delivers brand-relevant technologies to the Product Roadmap. R&D s core role is innovation through timely creation of technologies with meaningful consumer benefits. The Director leads the Research, Helmet, and Frame R&D functions, ensuring engineering execution is aligned with the creative and strategic brand direction.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Serves as the leader of the R&D team, planning and directing all activities and projects of the organization
- Functions as an organizational technical leader to support brand activities
- Directly supports the initiatives of the R&D roadmap
- Is responsible for the performance and execution of all new product and technologies
- Creates functional strategies for R&D that support the larger business goals
- Develops and manages budgetary plans that support R&D activities
- Mentoring and career development of team
- Development of organization construct and future staffing needs
- Working awareness is operational, with direct influence across all phases
- Collaborates directly with cross functional leaders including IDZ, Engineering, Product and Manufacturing
- Communicates project status directly to executive leadership.
- Wide latitude for functional management with minimal directional input from SVP
- BS in Engineering or similar
- 10+ years engineering experience
- 5+ years managerial experience
- Familiarity with polymers, plastics processing and injection molding
- Advanced material development and processing experience
- Rapid prototyping/additive manufacturing methods and design
- Experience conducting physical testing and sample evaluation
- Hands-on experience fabricating prototypes for testing and user feedback
- Responsibilty for developing and managing technical budgets
- Project planning of long range engineering activtites
- Computer skills including Excel, PowerPoint, Project and Word
- Imaginative outside the box thinker with a history of problem solving
- Simple and Fast approach to innovating, fail fast- learn faster
- Hiring and developing high level technical teams
- Technical leadership of cross functional teams
- Strong organizational, people, verbal and written communication skills
- Self-starter with high attention to detail
- Ability to travel as needed, domestic and international
- MS in Engineering or similar
- Multi-industry experience, with focus in consumer products
- 2+ years Oakley specific experience
- CAD modeling, packaging and assembly
- Chemistry, lamination and or thin film development
- Practical knowledge of wearable electronics product design
- Familiarity with MIM, die casting, forging and other metal forming technogies
- Field testing with end-users
- Entrepreneurial spirit through career progression and improvement
- Passion for and participation in our core sports
Upon request and consistent with applicable laws, Luxottica will provide reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities who need assistance in the application and hiring process. To request a reasonable accommodation, please call the Luxottica Ethics Compliance Hotline at 1- (be sure to provide your name and contact information so that we may follow up in a timely manner).
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, gender, national origin, social origin, social condition, being perceived as a victim of domestic violence, sexual aggression or stalking, religion, age, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, citizenship, ancestry, veteran or military status, marital status, pregnancy (including unlawful discrimination on the basis of a legally protected pregnancy or maternity leave), genetic information or any other characteristics protected by law. Native Americans receive preference in accordance with Tribal Law.
Nearest Major Market: Orange County
Nearest Secondary Market: Los Angeles
Job Segment: Manager, Merchandising, Apparel, Garment, Management, Fashion, Retail