|Date Posted||July 30, 2022|
National Radio Astronomy Observatory
The National Radio Astronomy Observatory (NRAO) announces an opportunity for a full-time Operations Engineer. The Operations Engineer will have a direct rol e in the design of the operations procedures supporting the N ext G eneration Very Large Array ( ngVLA ). The individual will work with a multi-disciplinary engineering team and scientific staff through the design , construction and qua lification of systems needed to support the overall health and function of the array. The ngVLA project is expected to deploy more than 200 radio telescope ant ennas throughout North America and recently receiv ed a strong endorsement from the National Academy of Sciences Astronomy and Astrophysics Decadal Survey (Astro2020) .
As part of a small, enthusiastic team, the successful candidate will report to the ngVLA Operations Integrated Product Team (IPT) Lead and will be responsible for helping to define comprehensive oper ational plans tha t will be the basis for automated operations processes . Th is role will collaborate with the subsystem owners throughout the development of their modules to ensure functionality meets the oper ational requirements of the array. The Operations Engineer will participate in building and analyzing models to pre dict operational constraints. The successful candidate will also assist in implement ing creative solutions to improve overall operational efficiency and uptime of the array.
While a remote work arrangement may be considered for well qualified candidates , much of t he ngVLA team is located at t he NRAO Albuquerque Office (NAO) located in the Science and Technology Park at the University of New Mexico (). Albuquerque is the largest city in New Mexico with a wide variety of restaurants, entertainment, and cultural events. With over 300 days of sunshine each year, Albuquerque offer s ample access to outdoor recreation.
In addition to competitive pay, NRAO provides excellent paid time off benefits (vacation and sick leave). Medical, dental and vision plans are effective the first day of employment. NRAOs retirement benefit contributes an amount equal to 10 percent of a qualified participants base pay. No contribution is required of the employee; we also offer an optional supplemental, tax-deferred plan for employee retirement contributions.
Job Duties Summary
Duties of the Operations Engineer :
- P rovide performance information by collecting, analyzing, and summarizing operating and engineering data
- Identify operational problems by studying system functionality using methods such as simulation and fault a nalysis
- Predict future system behavior resulting from changes such as design modifications
- Anticipate operational problems by studying operating t argets, modes of operation, process limitatio ns
- Develop solutions and plans for executing operations p rocesses that improve overall array efficiency
- C ompl y with NRAO and government safety policies and procedures
- Other duties as assigned, relev ant to the scope of this role
Work is typically performed in a research or development environment; will be required to stand and sit, and perform fine hand manipulation. Must be able to operate a personal computer. May occasionally work at high altitudes. Occasional travel will be required.
BS in Industrial Engineering , Operations Engineering or related field
Advanced degree in Industrial Engineering , Operations Engineering, or related field
One year of experience in the following areas:
- Developing and presenting technical briefings
- Op erations engineering t o satisfy operational requirements related to uptime, modes of operation, and maintenance scheduling
Three or more years of experience in areas listed in Minimum Experience plus :
- Experience with failure reporting and tracking
- Experience with configuration management tools
- Demon strated experience leading engineering and technical personnel in development and implementation of operations engineering processes
The ideal candidate is highly detail-oriented, future thinking, and can manage a broad set of diverse data. They must have excellent communication skills to explain new ideas and implementations with various engineering and technical personnel.
The Observatory requires staff to be fully vaccinated against COVID -19 to access our facilities. An offer of employment will be considered contingent until the selected applicant provides proof of vaccination. A selected applicant may request consideration for an accommodation for a disability or for a sincerely held religious belief.
Click the Apply b utton below. You will need to upload your current CV/Resume and a letter of application describing interest and suitability for the position .
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement:
AUI is an equal opportunity employer. Women, Minorities, Vietnam-Era Veterans, Disabled Veterans, Veterans and Individuals with Disabilities are encouraged to apply. To view our complete statement, please visit . If you require reasonable accommodation for any part of the application or hiring process due to a disability, you may submit your request by sending an email to . PM20
The NRAO is an equal opportunity employer (M/F/D/V)