|Date Posted||April 8, 2021|
Electrical and Power Electronics Engineer
Our client, a Fortune 250 global industrial company, and leader in its markets, is seeking an experienced Electrical and Power Electronics Engineer to work in the Central Engineering Department for one of its business segments headquartered in Northeastern Wisconsin. This electrical engineer with a power electronics focus will play a key role in the Innovation and Technology department. This engineering leader will be a key contributor in the investigation, development, and implementation of hardware solutions for new industrial and commercial products with a primary focus on AC / DC and DC / AC power conversion (5-30kW). The ideal candidate has a proven track record of designing and testing variable speed electrical drives, switching devices and / or multi-kilowatt power supplies including semiconductor selection, magnetics design and pulse-width modulation control. This position requires a highly motivated individual with exceptional communications and interpersonal skills to work collaboratively with engineering teams, marketing, and product management to develop innovative and reliable products to serve our customer needs.
- Primary responsibilities include design, development, and test of power converters to be used in Industrial and Commercial Platforms.
- Provide power electronics leadership, mentoring and consultation on various projects.
- Perform simulations, lab testing and create prototypes and documentation on new designs.
- Maintain and drive platform commonality and re-use across multiple designs.
- Ensure adherence to quality standards and project deliverables.
- Effectively work individually and on a multidisciplinary team with electrical, software, mechanical, and product engineers to take projects from original concept to implementation.
- Identify innovative patentable solutions to end market needs.
- Bachelor's Degree in Electrical Engineering with at least 5 years of power electronics design experience is required.
- Master's Degree and with a power electronics focus is preferred.
- Must have experience with power semiconductor selection and lab testing.
- Experience with 230/460/575VAC multi-kilowatt power conversion such as motor drives is required.
- Experience in mixed-signal embedded hardware design including signal conditioning for high-speed/precision signals in a power conversion setting, signaling across multiple insulation boundaries, and gate driver power supplies is required.
- Magnetics design experience including flyback, forward and full bridge transformers as well as inductors is a plus.
- Knowledge of printed circuit board (PCB) layout considerations for switch mode power supplies is required.
- Working knowledge of power conversion control systems is a plus.
- Must be proficient with circuit modeling and simulation tools.
- Experience designing to 3rd party (UL, CSA, CE) standards is preferred.
- This individual must be a self-starter and have strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required.
- Candidate must be a team player with a positive attitude and able to effectively work across functions.
- Travel expectation is less than 20%.