|Location||Des Moines, Iowa|
|Date Posted||July 30, 2022|
Position Description:Partner with the BUEHSD, PX, PM and Superintendents to ensure project site compliance with company environmental, safety and health policies and procedures. Lead, direct and enforce EH&S on a single construction project (generally $25M or greater) or on multiple projects within the business unit s geographic area, based on the safety staffing requirements as defined by Headquarters EH&S . Identify, eliminate and control hazardous conditions that may lead to injury and or property damage using job specific safety standards, best management practices, and the Building L.I.F.E. program. Review and interpret environmental and hazardous materials reports and conditions and provide guidance to the project.
Reports to: Business Unit EH&S Director
Essential Duties & Responsibilities :
- Build working relationships with project partners to lead and direct assigned projects in implementing cultural changes in safety.
- Analyze problems, make recommendations, and drive positive change. Communicate to leadership and project team the requirements for improving performance including addressing issues, concerns, and corrective actions.
- Lead and direct project team on compliance with Turner s safety policies and procedures, and environmental operational program.
- Analyze Phase I, Phase II, and pre-demolition surveys to assure project-specific program addresses mitigation of environmental risks.
- Review Risk Management policies related to environmental compliance, coordinate pre-planning efforts and communicate requirements to project team and/or subcontractors.
- Coordinate mitigation activities with BUEHSD and Risk Management.
- Interpret OSHA and EPA regulations specific to environmental hazards, such as storm water, mold, asbestos, PCBs, and lead, etc.
- Develop and implement programs, beyond the overall project safety program, that benefit the safety, health and wellbeing of workers.
- Develop and provide owner reports and explain overall safety performance of project. Prepare and present project EH&S information at owner meetings.
- Negotiate contracts with vendors for safety services, off-site occupational health facilities and on-site medical services providers.
- Guide and develop Project Safety Assistants and Project Safety Managers (if applicable), preparing thorough, accurate, and timely performance evaluations, delivering honest and constructive feedback to direct reports at different levels, and tying individual employee goals to project and company objectives.
- Educate and mentor other project safety staff including joint venture partners.
- Participate in evaluation of staff in collaboration with the BUEHSD; identify staff development needs and recommend appropriate developmental activities.
Qualifications: Four year degree in Occupational or Environmental Safety and Health with at least seven (7) years of building construction safety experience or equivalent education and experience. A minimum of OSHA 30 hour training, First Aid/CPR/BBP and AED training. Demonstrated knowledge of safety/environmental principles and techniques through completion of other related coursework and/or certifications is required. In addition, achievement of CHST is required within two years of appointment to this position. Demonstrated ability to identify known potential exposures and lead implementation of corrective actions. Demonstrated management, leadership, and ability to work independently and with teams, and strong interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate well both verbally and in writing and train others. Demonstrated computer skills and experience with Microsoft Office suite programs and proficiency in EH&S applications.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Performance of the required duties will require physical ability to climb permanent and temporary stairs, passenger use of construction personnel hoists, ability to climb ladders and negotiate work areas under construction. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Performing this job requires use of hands to handle or feel objects, tools or controls, sit, talk, stand, climb, balance, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Ability to hear bells, alarms, whistles, etc. Employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works on-site at the construction work site where the employee is exposed to moving mechanical parts; high precarious places; fumes or airborne particles; outside weather conditions and risk of electrical shock. The noise in these work environments is usually moderate to very loud.
May perform other duties as assigned.
Turner is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Minorities/Females/Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor
Turner is an Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer minorities / females / veterans / individuals with disabilities/ sexual orientation / gender identity. VEVRAA Federal Contractor