|Date Posted||April 3, 2021|
NerdWallet has a mission to provide clarity for all of life's financial decisions. We are looking for a Senior Engineering Manager to join us in achieving that goal. You will have responsibility for multiple engineering programs, managing software teams yourself and delivering results through managers that report to you.
Where you can make an impact:
- Build healthy, productive teams: You will own the health of your teams, ensuring that they are challenged and growing. You forge goals into a bold, coherent vision for your group. You also maximize the effectiveness of your direct reports through mentorship and coaching.
- Build cross-functional partnerships: You will work with individuals across NerdWallet to ensure your teams align on business strategy and deliver on commitments. You will work closely with product managers and program managers to maximize the success of your projects.
- Deliver results: Your teams consistently deliver on major commitments that move our business forward. You drive key success metrics, communicate project status to stakeholders, and work to clear blocking issues from the roadmap.
- Guide technical direction: You will engage in technical discussions with your engineers and managers, working to understand tradeoffs and guide major decisions. You have been a software engineer yourself and can dive into architectural details with your teams.
- Ensure operational excellence: You will set high standards and drive best engineering practices for your services. You focus your teams on addressing the right operational concerns and enable learning through incident postmortems and sprint retrospectives.
- Grow your teams: You will partner with our recruiting group to identify a diverse set of world-class managers and engineers to hire. You will take an active role in sourcing and interviewing candidates.
- Empower your teams: You are a role model of cross-functional leadership. You create a culture of creativity, collaboration, inclusion, and innovation across your teams.
- Operationally independent: You will work closely with the Director of Platform Engineering, but you have the ability to work with minimal input when required.
- Someone who can handle ambiguity: You are able to work with products that have a defined business roadmap as well as business problems that may not have a defined strategy yet. When there is uncertainty, you can work with project partners to define the path forward.
- An effective communicator: You are able to communicate well in multiple modalities to audiences of various sizes. You convey information effectively in a 1:1, an all-hands presentation, or a written document to executive leadership.
- Forward-thinking: You are able to proactively identify significant risks to your roadmap, to software operations, and to team health.
- A leader of technical complexity: You can lead your teams in the creation of large-scale, complex software projects. You work with teams to identify solutions to major project constraints, such as performance, scalability, or compliance requirements.
- Someone with technical vision. You can work with your teams to create a compelling multi-year roadmap to improve service architecture, pay down technical debt, and adopt new technologies.
- Process improvement consciousness: You can identify shortcomings in existing team processes and work with cross-functional partners to address shortcomings or create new process mechanisms.
We recognize not everyone will have all of these requirements. If you meet most of the criteria below and you're excited about the opportunity and willing to learn, we'd love to hear from you.
- Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, or equivalent experience.
- At least five years managing software development teams, with at least two years of experience managing other managers.
- At least five years of professional experience as a Software Engineer.
- Deep understanding of software engineering principles, including service architecture and system design.
- Strong skills in critical thinking, decision making, problem-solving, and attention to detail.
- Proven success in an Agile development environment.
- This role will be based in San Francisco, CA or remote (based in the U.S.).
- We believe great work can be done anywhere. No matter where you are based, NerdWallet offers benefits and perks to support the physical, financial, and emotional well being of you and your family.
What we offer:
Work hard, stay balanced (Life's a series of balancing acts, eh?)
- 100% paid premiums for medical, dental and vision for employees and their dependents
- Rejuvenation Policy - Flexible Time Off + 12 holidays + Mental Health Days
- New Parent Leave for employees with a newborn child or a child placed with them for adoption or foster care
- Mental health support through Ginger.io
- Paid sabbatical for Nerds to recharge, gain knowledge and pursue their interests
- Health and Dependent Care FSA and HSA with monthly NerdWallet contribution
- Weekly Virtual Bootcamp, Yoga and Mindfulness Meditation sessions
- Monthly Wellness Stipend and Cell Phone Stipend
Have some fun! (Nerds are fun, too)
- Nerd-led group initiatives - Intramural Sports, Employee Resource Groups for Parents, Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion, Womxn, LGBTQIA, and other communities
- Hackathons, Happy Hours and team bonding across all teams and departments
- Company-wide events like Little Nerds Day (aka bring your kids to work day, even if you're remote!) and our annual Charity Auction
Lifestyle (Be your best self - we'll take care of the details)
- Our Nerds love to make an impact by paying it forward - Donate to your favorite causes with a company match
- WiFi Stipend, Work from home equipment stipend, and co-working space subsidy
- Commuting stipend and catered breakfast, lunch and onsite barista for SF based Nerds
- Anniversary recognition program - choose from different items and experiences
Plan for your future (And when you retire on your island, remember the little people)
- 401K with company match
- Annual Enrichment Stipend for learning and development
- Be the first to test and benefit from our new financial products and tools
- Access to Rocket Lawyer for online legal support and resources
NerdWallet is committed to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of any characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.