|Location||San Francisco, California|
|Date Posted||September 24, 2022|
At Raytheon Missiles & Defense, by combining our vast resources and investments we are able to dedicate ourselves to solving mission-level vs. product-level customer challenges - together we can anticipate more, move faster and make a bigger impact on the big picture.
Whole Life Engineering (WLE) is responsible for ensuring our products are Safe, Reliable, Maintainable and delivered on time. WLE consists of multiple disciplines that support engineering, our program offices and our customers. Our WLE disciplines participate in the total life cycle of our products from conception to deactivation. Our focus area is product support, including the following disciplines: Reliability, System Safety and Supportability.
Whole Life Engineering is conducting search for a talented Sr. Human Systems Integration Engineer to join our team. This job can be based in Woburn, MA; Huntsville, AL; or Tucson, AZ.
As a Sr. HSI Engineer, you will be involved in aspects of the system design, development, and sustainment. The User Experience (UX) / User Interface focus for this position will including the following:
- Proven User Centered Design (UCD) approach
- Applying human cognition and decision-making practices
- Digital design such as thin client Graphical User Interface (GUI), web interfaces, tablet design, voice assistants, augmented reality (AR) or virtual reality (VR)
- Multiple distinct user interface devices
- Establishing, understanding, communicating, and applying user research insights
- Usability measurement of product in development or fielded to a customer requirements
- Collaborate with an agile scrum team and may lead special projects in an agile execution environment
- Human to Machine (H2M) teaming with automation Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning (AI/ML) capabilities, complex data visualization and gamification techniques.
- Human Factors evaluations and applications of design standards and requirements
- Collaborate with other Whole Life disciplines to include Safety, Reliability, Training and Logistics
We value diverse skills and experience, so don't hold back. Your qualifications could add tremendous value to our team. Our customers come from all different backgrounds, and so do our employees. If you're passionate about what you could accomplish here, we'd love to hear from you.
Responsibilities to Anticipate:
- Conduct, analyze and organize user research to discover and document user goals, decisions, and information needs, as well as tasks and workflows
- Utilize user journeys, task analysis, user flows, personas, concept maps and other techniques to both analysis and communicate user interaction
- Support projects by creating interactive design wireframes with best practices in interaction design and facilitate user testing and iterative design
- Plan, organize and set up usability tests to collect data from user engagements following human participant studies standards
- Collaborate with development teams and Specialty Engineering groups to implement design patterns and guidance that deliver best value to the user while considering ease of implementation
- Write Agile development user stories (JIRA, etc.) around design features for design implementation
- Maintain a current understanding of relevant government and international UI standards and practices (e.g., MILSTD 1472H, ISO 9241-110/210)
- Perform measurement of software user interface development to validate compliance with standards and customer requirements
- Perform HFE assessments of systems and hardware for general quality of design and compliance to design requirements
- Provide consulting on UX, UI, or HFE to project teams
This requisition is posted as Hybrid, with work both onsite and remote. Commuting costs to the assigned office location are the responsibility of the incumbent.
Qualifications You Must Have:
Typically Requires: Bachelor's degree and 5 years of relevant experience OR an Associate's degree and 7 years of relevant experience OR an advanced degree in a related field and minimum 3 years' experience OR a PhD can account for 5 years of experience as required for this role. In absence of a college degree, 9 years of relevant experience is required.
- User Experience (UX) / User Interface (UI) experience in either commercial, DoD or advanced academic research and studies
- Experience with Human Factors and/or Human Systems Integration in system or product design, development or sustainment
- The ability to obtain and maintain a US security clearance. US citizenship is required as only US citizens are eligible for a security clearance.
Qualifications We Value:
- Military or DoD experience and familiarity with air missile defense systems is a plus.
- Proven user interface design fundamentals and prototyping
- Deep knowledge of an array of user research methodologies
- Proficiency with industry-standard design, prototyping, and user testing instrumentation and tools.
- Experience with eye-tracking and other biosensors is a plus.
- Experience defining user task analysis and mental models as they relate to user experience
- Experience with Human Computer Interface design/development or Hardware Analysis as it relates to MIL-STD-1472F and commercial standards
- Board Certified Ergonomist or HSI Professional
- Knowledge of solid modeling tools (e.g., Jack, Catia, ProE, SolidWorks, Santos)
For the TUCSON LOCATION ONLY:
This position is eligible for a minimum $20k Sign-On Bonus
Sign-On Bonus is not available to internal candidates
What We Offer: Whether you are just starting out on your career journey or are an experienced professional, we offer a robust total rewards package that goes above and beyond with compensation; healthcare, wellness, retirement, and work/life benefits; career development and recognition programs. Some of the superior benefits on offer include parental (including paternal) leave, flexible work schedules, achievement awards, educational assistance and child/adult backup care.
Huntsville, AL is the largest city in Alabama and is one of just 2 cities with representation from all 4 of the Raytheon Technologies businesses.
Known as Rocket City, Huntsville is one of the nation's largest aerospace and technological hubs, and is headquarters for the U.S. Space Command, as well as the home to many Department of Defense organizations and civilian departments and agencies.
Living in Huntsville, you'll experience a metro-vibe city with convenient access to larger cities such as Nashville (1.5 hours) and Atlanta (3.5 hours).
Huntsville earned the spot on Livability's Top 10 Best Cities for STEM Workers and was named to its list of Tech Hotspots. U.S. News & World Report ranked Huntsville of 125 Best Places to Live in America, and in 2020, Huntsville was the 4th most moved to city in the U.S.
This job is located in beautiful Tucson, AZ. Recognized as one of America's 10 Best Small Cities, Tucson has a friendly, laid-back atmosphere, combined with the innovation and energy of a metropolitan region. Surrounded by beautiful mountains, the colorful Sonoran Desert landscape and majestic saguaro cacti, Tucson showcases some of nature's best work. Tucson is known for its bright blue skies, and with more than 310 sunny days per year, this fantastic weather allows residents enjoy the outdoors year-round.
Additional Details: This job is posted internally as: Sr. Engineer, Systems Engineering
This requisition is ERIP Eligible. Employee Referral Award Eligibility: Only employees currently within RMD and RI&S have the potential to receive a Referral Award for submitting a referral to RMD and RI&S roles. ALL eligibility requirements must be met to receive the Referral Award
Raytheon Technologies is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status, age or any other federally protected class.