|Date Posted||April 6, 2021|
Embark on a career putting innovative, reliable, and agile products and ideas into orbit, and beyond. Northrop Grumman has opportunities waiting for you that play a vital role in human space exploration, national defense, and scientific discovery, supporting multiple programs across the universe. With us, you'll discover a culture of curiosity and collaboration that will have you Defining Possible from the day you start. Our space systems connect and protect millions of people on earth every day, now and for the future. Explore your future and launch your career today.
Strategic Space Systems Division (SSSD) is an industry-leading provider for launch systems capabilities serving national security, military, civil and commercial customers. We are built on a heritage of providing innovative, affordable and reliable aerospace and defense products that our customers rely on to achieve mission success. Join the Space revolution and make the impossible, possible.
SSSD has an opening for a System Safety Engineer to join our team of qualified, diverse individuals. This position will be located in Redondo Beach, CA.
The candidate will be expected to support tasks involving System Safety which may include:
- Reviews product systems, associated support equipment and facilities, functional specifications and operations, and establishes safety requirements for assigned systems.
- Independently analyzes and recommends safety criteria in system design, equipment and procedures to control or eliminate hazards.
- Develops safety documents as required to support customer and test/operational range requirements.
- Develops a System Safety Program Plan, and performs audits of operational areas and reports effectiveness of the system safety program.
- Participates in accident investigations involving damage to products or related facilities and assists in identification of causes and corrective actions.
- Evaluates the interrelationship of system safety requirements and other aspects of concept design and development requirements to ensure the most cost effective program.
- Independently completes safety analysis including Preliminary Hazard Analysis (PHA), Subsystem Hazard Analysis (SSHA), Test Hazard Analyses (THA), and support incorporating updates into the existing Hazard Tracking System (HTS) records and Safety Analysis Report (SAR)
Northrop Grumman offers a competitive and robust benefits program. As a full-time employee of Northrop Grumman, you are eligible for:
- Medical, Dental & Vision coverage
- Educational Assistance
- Life Insurance
- Employee Assistance Programs & Work/Life Solutions
- Paid Time Off
- Health & Wellness Resources
- Employee Discounts
- Flexible Schedules: For example the ability to work a 9/80 work schedule, which allows an employee to work a nine-hour day Monday through Thursday and take every other Friday off of work
For more details, please view Northrop Grumman Benefits.
- Bachelor's degree in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) discipline with 9+ years of Engineering/Systems Safety experience OR
- Master's degree in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) discipline with 7+ years of Engineering/Systems Safety experience OR
- PhD in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Math) discipline with 4+ years of Engineering/Systems Safety experience
Candidate must have, and be able to maintain, at least ONE of the following active U.S. Government security clearances:
- Dept. of Defense Top Secret level with a background investigation date within 6 years OR
- Dept. of Energy Q clearance with a Single Scope Background Investigation (SSBI) completed within 5 years OR
- System Engineering background with specialization in System Safety
- Experience performing System Safety across all phases of a program
- Experience performing two or more of the following Preliminary Hazard Analysis (PHA), Subsystem Hazard Analysis (SSHA), Test Hazard Analyses (THA), and support incorporating updates into the existing Hazard Tracking System (HTS) records and Safety Analysis Report (SAR)
- Experience developing a System Safety Program Plan
- Software Safety experience
- Familiarity with MIL-STD-882E
- Familiarity with OSHA Standards
- Experience working on Space or Laser programs
- Experience leading a System Safety team/effort
- Experience with DoD safety programs highly desired
- Experience performing Safety on the floor during Integration and Test, Assembly, and moving of hardware
- Ability to apply extensive technical expertise in System Safety, and has full knowledge of other related disciplines
- Ability to communicate effectively (written and oral) and clearly present technical approaches and findings
- Ability to develop technical solutions to complex problems which require the regular use of ingenuity and creativity
- Ability to work independently, without appreciable direction
- Ability to guide the successful completion of major programs
- Active Program Access, DoD SCI clearance
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.